Derek Wilcox | PhD
Specialties: Strength Sports, Biomechanical Assessments
Titleist Performance Institute (TPI) Certified Golf Fitness Instructor
- BA at Appalachian State University
- MA in Kinesiology and Sport Studies East at Tennessee State University
- PhD in Sport Physiology and Performance at East Tennessee State University
Training and Athletic Experience
- Began Resistance Training in 2001
- Began Competing in Strength Athletics in 2005
- Competition Experience in Olympic lifting and Strongman
- Class A Highland Games Athlete
- Elite Totals in 165, 181 198 220 classes (only classes ever entered)
- Pro Totals in 181 198 220 classes
- All-time World Record Squat 935lbs @ 181
- The smallest person to ever squat 1,000lbs (194lbs)
- Top 10 All-Time total
Best Competition Lifts
- Squat 1050lbs
- Bench 560lbs
- Deadlift 725lbs
Check out more content from this coach:
Jun 29, 2020
Mar 29, 2021
About me - Live in Stanley NC. After retiring from powerlifting I've competed in jiu-jitsu and disc golf. I play normal golf, lift weights of course, and may jump back in the highland games again. I have two dogs, Freya and Kvasir.
Why did you start coaching? Combining my passion for fitness and strength with helping improve people's quality of life
What is your coaching style? I practically beg clients to ask questions about the process. I love the back and forth with my clients. The more informed and confident you are in what you're doing the easier it is to stay motivated and consistent.
What kinds of clients do you work with? I've worked with everyone from children to world-class athletes to the elderly just trying to get off the couch better. I love it all!
What is your favorite part of coaching? When clients participate, learn, and eventually become self-sustaining with the tools I helped give them for a better life through nutrition and fitness.
What type of client would be the best fit to work with you? Literally, anyone who has goals to achieve. I love every journey regardless of how big or small.